Genius Project Script

 

The Genius Project Script

Introduction: Quote & Quip

Sitting in my room, reading my book on the last week of my genius project, I had a epiphany, a Eureka moment, I stated out loud, (click)“I just realized how much humans can learn from their own cells...”

My name is Kevin Liu, and (click)welcome to my Genius project (click) Immunology: what we can learn and how we can improve our own worth ethic, from studying how our body systems function. (click) Now many of you may be looking at that root ology, and be thinking immediately (click) red flags! Bad idea! Etc. etc. (click) but for me, it is something that I can be passionate about, learn about, and really appreciate.

 

Takeaways

That is why, for the past few weeks, I have been reading (click), and reading (click), and reading (click). And soon enough (click), I felt like I was kind of getting nowhere. I wasn’t really learning anything extremely significant, something life-changing that would let me see the world in a different way. I asked myself, (click) what did I really learn? What is my actual takeaway from reading all of these texts? Sure, I could talk about all the science, but what have I truly learned? What are some things I could take from my readings, and apply to everything I do, to my daily life? I really thought hard on this, and from the deepest part of my brain I wrote some down (click) some problems that we have are not as difficult as we make them. The immune system, has a vast network of defenders called the innate immune system, which is kind of like the first responders to any problem that arises. The cells get there quick, and they get the problem solved. This also works for many people in working; if you do your work as soon as you get it, chances are it is going to be a lot easier than if you sit on it to the last day or the last week. And this helps to bring me into the next point, which is (click) your best work takes days to create. The second system the body has in place to fight diseases is the adaptive immune system. It’s the body’s best weapon against virus and disease, but it takes multiple days to truly activate, for it to show its true power. It learns the specifics of the disease, and specialized cells learn how to crush it. People could also implement this into their work: if you take multiple days to think out and to really develop what you turn in, it will be way better than what you can do the night before it is due. If this all fails though, and you have many excuses and you do end up waiting until the night before, (click) it is always better to be late than to never do anything about it. Jason Greenstein was a man who learned that he had terminal cancer. It was extremely late stage, and there was almost no chance for him to make it out. But he and the doctors at his hospital fought with all they could at the end of the road, they tried every medication every possible chance that something could work, and he ended up extending his life expectancy from a few weeks, to over half a year. All this may sound stressing, but the final thing I want you to hear is that (click) everything is going to be ok. This might sound cheesy, but it is true. Even if you are sick with the flu, even if you’re fighting the biggest battle in your life, there are things on every step of the way to help you out. Your adaptive immune system is here to help your innate immune system, the people around you are willing to help you every step of the way. You just have to let yourself (click) relax every now and then. (click) We can learn anything around us, you just have to be open to learning from them. Everything, everyone has a story worth sharing. If you simply just ask them the right question, you could open up a whole range of new ideas and new thoughts.  And now, I want to challenge you, think about all the things that you see, all the things that you hear, all the things that surround you, and ask yourself, (click) What or who are you going to learn from next? Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Four: 4/14, Immunology: Information Extreme